But one gift that is not appreciated, or even acceptable on a rainy day, is an umbrella.
You should never give an umbrella as a gift, especially to someone you are close to.
Giving someone an umbrella may show them your relationship with them has fallen apart.
Is it bad luck to give an umbrella as a gift?
Umbrellas and mirrors are also unlucky gifts as they will cause an estrangement.
What gifts should not be given?
Here are seven superstitions and traditions around gift giving to keep in mind this holiday season.
- No sharp objects.
- Don’t give empty wallets.
- Mirrors might be spooky.
- Pass on the gloves.
- Say no to clocks or watches.
- Stay away from bad numbers.
- And avoid even numbers.
What is a good gift to give a Chinese person?
For the gift when you visit others, you can choose gifts as wine, tea or something that useful for the whole family. Also, some special gifts of your country or family are also very meaningful. If you are visiting a newlywed couple’ house, come small home applications like juicer, tea sets are good ideas.
What Chinese people should not give?
10 Things You Should Not Give as a Chinese New Year Gift
- Sharp Objects — Cut Off Relationship. Giving somebody a sharp object insinuates that you want to cut off your relationship with them.
- The Number 4 — Sounds Like Death.
- Shoes — Evil.
- Handkerchiefs — A Symbol of Saying Goodbye Forever.
- Clocks — Bad Luck.
- Pears — Parting.
- Cut Flowers — Presents for Funerals.
- Umbrellas — Break Up.