What gifts should not be given?
Here are seven superstitions and traditions around gift giving to keep in mind this holiday season.
- No sharp objects.
- Don’t give empty wallets.
- Mirrors might be spooky.
- Pass on the gloves.
- Say no to clocks or watches.
- Stay away from bad numbers.
- And avoid even numbers.
What can you not give as a Chinese gift?
10 Things You Should Not Give as a Chinese New Year Gift
- Sharp Objects — Cut Off Relationship. Giving somebody a sharp object insinuates that you want to cut off your relationship with them.
- The Number 4 — Sounds Like Death.
- Shoes — Evil.
- Handkerchiefs — A Symbol of Saying Goodbye Forever.
- Clocks — Bad Luck.
- Pears — Parting.
- Cut Flowers — Presents for Funerals.
- Umbrellas — Break Up.
Why we should not give watch as gift?
Clocks and Watches not be gifted ever – they are a symbol of putting a time on the relationship between the receiver and giver. Gifts like alarm clocks, wall clocks, watches etc. are common gift items, but can actually turn out to be inauspicious. This is because the passage of time suggests a limited lifespan.
Is it OK to give knives as a gift?
According to one superstition, a knife presented as a gift will sever the friendship between the giver and the recipient. It’s especially bad luck to give a knife as a wedding gift because, according to folklore, it could cut the marriage ties.